Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blog Assignment 9

What I Learned This Year
By Mr. McClung

When I read the title of this blog post, I'm not sure what I was expecting to read, but it wasn't what I found. I loved this post and I bookmarked the link so that I can go back to it and remind myself of these very important points on being a better teacher. I really like his "Be Reasonable" point. I know from personal experience that teachers often have very high expectations for their students. While it is great to have high expectations, it sets students up for disappointment when they do not reach their teachers expectations. They will, not only feel disappointed in themselves, but they will feel like they have disappointed their teachers. Even if they may have slightly disappointed their teacher, they need to be feeling encouragement from their teachers.

Another good point that Mr. McClung made was "Don't be Afraid of Technology". This is something that we are learning in this class and most of our blog assignments have been focused around proving why we should not be afraid of it. I understand this, however, I understand that there are still a large amount of people who are still afraid of technology. But I think teachers, whether in-training or many years experienced, need to take EDM310 and learn how to do some of the things that we are learning. Technology is very useful and pathetically, it is not being utilized. So as Mr. McClung said, "...so jump in head first...the water feels fine."

Another wonderful point, "Listen to Your Students." He points out that we, teachers, may be the only person that does. We do not know the life that our students go home to and we may very well be the only person they have to talk to.

Last, but not least, he states that we need to Never Stop Learning. As I have said in previous blog posts, it is important that we, as teachers, keep our education up-to-date. No one ever finishes learning. Learning is a never ending adventure.
a dictionary, pencil, and notebook

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    Very good post! I'm glad that it touched you! You included excellent ideas and points.
    Amberly Elmore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,
    I am your C4C this week. I also found Mr.McClung's post to be very helpful and important. As you mentioned, students need as much encouragement as they can get. Teachers do not know their home environment and must provide guidance and attention to all. It is very important to listen to our students because they are often wonderful teachers themselves. I agree that EDM310 is a must-have class for current and upcoming teachers. From my perspective as a future English teacher, blogging is a wonderful tool. There are many educations tools tied up in technology, we just have to be open to using them. Learning to use new technology can be frustrating and scary, but it is also necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    Mr. McClung's post point out some important facts regarding to help our future understanding and encourage future teachers to not be too upset on their first year teaching if it gets out of control and always try to figured out the other solution to help the teachers and the students.

    ReplyDelete